KDX engine strip

Motor Related Discussion

Moderator: Streak450

josh93

KDX engine strip

Postby josh93 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Good evening

I just wanted to get some perspective on how difficult it is to open an engine to replace the seals and possibly the bearings on a 2006 kdx200. I'v never opened an engine before and being a student i don't really have the cash to pay labour on top of the parts needed so I'm planning on doing it myself when i'm done with exams.

I'v heard its not such a mission to do but this was from guys who have done it a few times before. I'm just worried I open the engine up and can't get it back together or miss other things inside that need replacing as unless it has proper visual wear I wouldn't be able to tell If it should be replaced or not.

I know the seals are leaking as the gearbox oil is running dry in about two hours of riding and the thing is smoking like crazy on the normal mix that's never given me problems before. If I could just get an indication from someone who's tackled this before for a first time as to whether its a good idea or not to do it alone I'd appreciate it. If it's better to let an experienced mechanic work on it I'd rather save up more and let them do it proper than waste money by messing it up myself.

Any input would be appreciated

Josh
CR500
Advanced
Advanced

Re: KDX engine strip

Postby CR500 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:07 pm

As you have not done something similar before do not attempt it on your own.

Find a fellow rider who has proper experience, ask him to assist you step by step (promising you will not let him do it and you just watching)
armpump
I live on E-dirt
I live on E-dirt

Re: KDX engine strip

Postby armpump » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 am

Get a workshop manual and take pictures of everything as you progress

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12241
LOUD PIPES KILL ----- riding opportunities

Return to “Motor”