Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Post your product reviews here. Moderated forum - posts subject to approval

Moderator: Streak450

bev
Intermediate
Intermediate

Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby bev » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:23 pm

So I posted this thread on the other forum with mixed response.

Want to get your guys opinions as well. So as the title suggests, has anyone ever bought/ridden one of these or at least know of someone that owns one?
I am eager to know how these bikes compare considering the price tag. There has been little feedback since its launch a few years ago.

Or does the lack of info on this bike pretty much answer my question?

Being a SA built bike I am pretty keen to see how these bikes perform.
What is the build quality and reliability of these bikes?
Rooster
Advanced
Advanced

Re: RE: Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby Rooster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:46 pm

bev wrote:So I posted this thread on the other forum with mixed response.

Want to get your guys opinions as well. So as the title suggests, has anyone ever bought/ridden one of these or at least know of someone that owns one?
I am eager to know how these bikes compare considering the price tag. There has been little feedback since its launch a few years ago.

Or does the lack of info on this bike pretty much answer my question?

Being a SA built bike I am pretty keen to see how these bikes perform.
What is the build quality and reliability of these bikes?

I've had one. Motor is brilliant, forks are good, rest is sub standard.

It's very tough for the first 80 hours, after that my biggest annoyance was the footpegs that rattle loose constantly.

Spares availability was good, and parts cheap. Accessories non existent, but you don't need any.

Do not be fooled that this bike weighs 110 odd kilos, it's heavier for sure!!

There is no workshop manual, so sag settings for an example don't exist - the rear shock is kuk, it's either hard or bouncy.

Brakes are ok.

All this being said, I loved this bike dearly, and if the gxcc bug bit me I would have kept it, the thing is an absolute rocket.

The frame geometry is exceptionally stable, making the bike very easy to ride at speed.

It's also quite low (linkage is adjustable)

If you can tell me what you want to use it for I can share more info

Sent from my D2203 using Tapatalk
bev
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby bev » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Ah I heard on the other forum you had one of these. Glad to get input from someone that has had first hand experience with one of these.
I sold my bike (Beta 350) a couple months back and I'm eager to get back onto a bike.
I know that one can get good deals on 2nd hand ktm's, husqvarna's etc at that price. But being an engineer myself a locally designed bike really intrigues me.

When I was riding we were doing a lot of tech at places like de wildt, arrows etc. Which is what I will be doing when I get back onto a bike I will be riding tech again.

Another question is how long did you own it for and what price did you sell if for? I would imagine it was not a very good return on investment.
Rooster
Advanced
Advanced

Re: RE: Re: Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby Rooster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 pm

bev wrote:Ah I heard on the other forum you had one of these. Glad to get input from someone that has had first hand experience with one of these.
I sold my bike (Beta 350) a couple months back and I'm eager to get back onto a bike.
I know that one can get good deals on 2nd hand ktm's, husqvarna's etc at that price. But being an engineer myself a locally designed bike really intrigues me.

When I was riding we were doing a lot of tech at places like de wildt, arrows etc. Which is what I will be doing when I get back onto a bike I will be riding tech again.

Another question is how long did you own it for and what price did you sell if for? I would imagine it was not a very good return on investment.

I took an absolute bath, had it for a year and a half, sold the motor for 10k. If I spend 5 k on the bike, I could most likely have gotten 20, I just didn't see the point.

The frame design is local - made in kzn as far as I remember, motor is Italian. The rest are Chinese Honda copies.

This bike survived me learning to ride at ww and saw countless crashes yet the motor is so well cradled it was never damaged.

If I could find a good example for 20 odd k, and your not in a hurry to move it some day why not. More than that you not gonna get your cash back easily.

nico.allers
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby nico.allers » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:31 pm

One of my friend had a 200cc (if I remember correctly). Actually broke its main drive on the gearbox and he struggled his ass off to get a the new gear. Eventually after several months of struggling he got it running again just to have his cam break in two pieces a few months into riding it.. personally I would blame the rider in a situation like this, but how do you break a cam shaft!? I remember the main drive shaft being a hollowed out shaft when he showed it to me. Poorly manufactured machines if you ask me. Wouldn't buy one for myself, rather go ktm or husky

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Rooster
Advanced
Advanced

Re: RE: Re: Anyone Taken the plunge: Puzey BRM 300?

Postby Rooster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 am

nico.allers wrote:One of my friend had a 200cc (if I remember correctly). Actually broke its main drive on the gearbox and he struggled his ass off to get a the new gear. Eventually after several months of struggling he got it running again just to have his cam break in two pieces a few months into riding it.. personally I would blame the rider in a situation like this, but how do you break a cam shaft!? I remember the main drive shaft being a hollowed out shaft when he showed it to me. Poorly manufactured machines if you ask me. Wouldn't buy one for myself, rather go ktm or husky

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

The 300 engine 2t is a Tm, the others are Chinese 4t.

But I agree with your sentiments

Return to “Product reviews”